2020 Immigration Issues For Golfers & Caddies


1. If you are currently in the U.S. in valid P-1 status and your P-1 visa and P-1 approval notice expires in the next 3 months, then you need to file a P-1 extension to extend your legal P-1 stay in the U.S.

2. If you depart the U.S. after your P-1 visa in your passport has expired, then you will need to obtain a new P-1 visa in your passport before you can reenter the U.S. in P-1 status. Note that if the consulates have not reopened, you may not be able to obtain the P visa to reenter the U.S. See https://www.realclearcounsel.com/single-post/2020/06/09/When-Will-The-US-Consulates-Open-For-Visa-Services

3. If you are currently outside the U.S. without a valid P-1 visa, you may have difficulty getting an appointment for a new P-1 visa. See number 2 above. You can use ESTA to seek admission to the U.S. for 90 days, but if you have a valid B-1 visa, you may enter the U.S. on the B-1 visa to compete for prize money only for up to six months. Once you arrive in the U.S., you will need to check your I-94 expiration date at www.cbp.gov/I94 to confirm the legal date to which you can stay in the U.S. If travel restrictions are still in place when you need to enter the U.S., follow the instructions of your tour. See https://www.realclearcounsel.com/single-post/2020/05/23/Wolf-Signs-Exemption-Allowing-US-Entry-o